Learning how to play roulette online is a fairly straightforward process based on learning the available bets on the table, and how to place them. The object of the game is to make a wager on the outcome of a ball spun around a wheel, which is separated into compartments. Each compartment has a specific number and color.
Roulette online guide
You can bet on a specific number being landed on by the ball, or some characteristic of that number. We can bet that it will be odd or even, or will fall within the first 12 numbers, or fall within a column of numbers on the roulette table layout. We can bet that the ball will land in a red or black pocket, or that it will skip both and find the elusive green 0 pocket.
There are two types of roulette bets that you can place, and you may do so in whatever combination or arrangement you wish. These two types of bets include the inside bets and the outside bets. Inside bets are the numbers on the internal area of the roulette table layout, where you place bets for each specific number. Around the outside of the board lie a number of other betting options, and these are collectively referred to as outside bets.
On inside bets, your cumulative bet (all of your bets added together) must total the table minimum. This means if you are playing at a $5 minimum table and want to bet on individual numbers, you can bet $1 on each of 5 numbers, or $5 on one number, or any combination in between, but your bet on the inside must total at least the $5 minimum.
On outside bets each and every bet must be at least the table minimum, and you cannot combine the value of any bets. This means if you want to bet on black and odds, you must place $5 on both bets at a $5 minimum table. Outside bets may not be contributed to your inside bet total.
To play roulette in a typical land-based session (to differentiate from playing at an online casino, which is slightly simpler), wait until a previous session ends and the dealer states to ‘place your bets’. At this point everyone will start putting down his or her chips or money. If you’re buying into the game you will cash in and get chips of a particular color, set to a denomination of your choice – each player uses their own color. Place your bets as you normally would around the outside. To bet on inside bets put your chips out to the center and ask the dealer to place the numbers you want with the amount you want. The dealer will spin the ball, wait a moment or two, and then wave their hands over the table and state ‘no more bets’. When the ball comes to a rest, the dealers will place a marker on top of the winning inside bet, clear the board, and then pay off all the winning bets.
When you play roulette online, some of the extra hassle of the game is removed. You no longer need to pay attention to the dealer to know if you can bet or not (saving some possibly embarrassing situations of betting too late). You also don’t have to worry about accidentally under-betting on the inside bets. Learning to play roulette with online software adds the value of being able to test your strategies without testing your bankroll.
Learning roulette is a process of understanding the bets, and the rules followed in placing them. On this page we will look at each bet and how to place it, taking note of any special features of the bet, and the odds you’re paid back at.
The outside bets on a roulette table are the bets that reside ‘outside’ of the main playing area of 37 numbers. There are no winning outside bets for 0 results. Let’s have a look at the different types of outside bets:
- Red or Black – you can choose to bet on the outcome either being a red number, or a black number. Place this bet right in the diamond shaped areas on the front of the board, filled in with a red or black color. This is a very common roulette bet, as it is easy to understand that you have almost half a chance of winning. People often place the bet making the incorrect assumption that if 5 blacks were spun, there is a better than 50% chance the sixth spin will be red. This is not logical, as the roulette wheel cannot ‘remember’ what it spun last, and each spin is independent of all previous spins. This bet is paid even money.
- Odd or Even – similar to the red black bet, this even money bet is based on whether the number will be odd or even. Since 0 does not count as either, there are 36 numbers, an even count between odd and even. Place this bet by putting your chips in the middle of the square marked ‘even’ or the square marked ‘odd’, which reside on either side of the black / red betting area.
- Low or high – Roulette rules allow ranges of numbers to be bet on. The low/high bet lets you predict whether you think the next number to come up will be part of the range from 1 to 18, or part of the range from 19 to 36. This is an even money bet. To place this bet put your chips in the boxes with the associated number range printed in them.
- Columns – at one end of the set of 37 numbers are boxes with the words ‘2 to 1’ written in them. Each box is part of a column of numbers if you extend a line up the body of the inside of the betting area. If a number from within the column you are betting on comes up you win, and are paid 2 to 1. Although not grouped with the others, this is still considered an outside bet.
- Dozens – a bet very similar to the columns bet, dozens lets you place a bet on either the first dozen numbers (1-12), the second dozen (13-24), or the third dozen (25-36). To place this bet find the rectangular areas located in between the outside bets and the inside board spread. These will usually be labeled with the words 1st 12, 2nd 12, and 3rd 12. The bet pays 2 to 1.
The inside bets
The inside bets are made up of specific numbers or combinations of numbers within the number layout, or along the border of it. Remember, the total of all of your bets must add up to at least the table minimum.
- Straight-up bet – this is the simple roulette bet. Choosing any one of the 37 numbers and putting your chips down on that number will give you a chance to win back at 35 to 1.
- Split bet – Roulette rules allow you to place a single bet on two different numbers if those numbers are beside each other on the table layout. To do so put your chips down on the line between them. This bet pays 17 to 1 if either number comes up.
- Street bet – This is a bet not unlike the split. It allows you to bet on three different numbers with the same bet. You can do this by placing chips on the outside of the row of numbers you want to bet on. So if you want to bet on the numbers 1, 2, and 3 all at once, put your chips down on the line that is the outside edge of the 3. This bet pays 11 to 1.
- Corner bet – Roulette rules also allow for other combinations. Another combination wager, the corner bet, lets you bet on four adjoining numbers. Placing your chips at the point where four numbers meet will indicate you want a corner bet. This is sometimes referred to as a square bet. If any of the four numbers come up, you’re paid 8 to 1.
- Square bet – To make this bet place your chips at the intersection of 0 and 3 on the corner. You can win if any of 0, 1, 2, or 3 are hit. You are paid 8 to 1.
- Single Zero Roulette Wheel – European Roulette
When playing the game of roulette try to find a wheel that only has one zero rather than the double zero. The single-zero roulette wheel is known as a French or European roulette wheel. The odds for a player are greatly improved when playing against a single zero. The odds of minus 5.26 percent drop to only 2.70 percent when the double zero is removed from the wheel. More and more casinos in the US are adopting the single-zero wheel. Look for it when you next visit your favorite casino. In addition, ask the pit boss if they are considering changing to the European wheel in the future. Your asking might help to encourage them to do so. Single-zero wheels are starting to appear in some Las Vegas casinos. Click on the following link if you’re looking for a great selection of online casinos offering both european and american online roulette.
Getting Better odds in Roulette
When playing roulette you don’t have to play the single numbers and hope for a big 35 to 1 hit. You can make a center bet in a block of four number at 8 to 1 odds. You can also divide your bet in the center to two number and get a 17 to 1 pay out. The total win with these types of bets is not as high as a single number, however your odds are greatly improved by betting multiple number in lieu of just a single spot.
The Worst Bet in Roulette
When playing roulette one specific bet that can be made by the player is the five spot. This wager includes the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3 spot. This is the worst bet on the American wheel with the zero and double zero. The odds against the player increases to 7.29 percent from the normal 5.26 percent, all in favor of the house. You should avoid this specific wager at all costs when playing roulette.
Best Roulette Odds
One option at roulette is to play black or red positions. The odds are 47.4 percent for red or black, with 5.3 percent going to green for the 0 and 00 on the American wheel. The odds are improved on the European wheel with only one zero. The odds go up to 48.7 percent for red and black, and only 2.6 percent for the green play. The house pays even money on the red and black wins. That is a loss for the player since he or she shouldn’t get an extra 2.6 cents on each dollar played. Don’t forget the house has to pay salaries, lighting and all the overhead costs. This is one of the ways they do it.
Inside and Outside Roulette Bets
In roulette the number of bets are known as “inside” bets and the red-black, odd-even and high-low are “outside” bets. If you only bet the outside pots you have to bet at least a minimum for that table. For example if the placard says $5 minimum, that is the minimum bet you have to make on these outside spots. However, the inside numbers can have dollar bets on them providing all of your inside bets total at least $5.
Getting 2:1 Odds in Roulette
You can greatly improve your odds at roulette by playing different combinations. For example, wager three chips on the red spot and two chips on the middle column of twelve numbers. This combination of red covers 18 numbers, the middle column will cover eight black numbers. Only ten black numbers and the 0 and 00 will make you lose this specific bet. This betting sequence will result in having 26 ways to win and 12 ways to lose. That is better then 2:1 chance of winning at roulette. Here is how it turns out. If a red number shows up and its on the center column you will win seven units. You will have won three units for red, which pays even money and four the center column which pays 2:1. On the other hand if one of the red numbers in the 1st or 3rd column shows up, you will win three for waging red and lose two for the column bet, still a one unit profit. If the ball lands on black in the center column you will win four, and lose three on the red spot, again a one unit win. You can also change the combination by playing black and the third column with the same results.